Press Release- Local Young Carers get Creative in Lockdown
Jun 9, 2020
PRESS RELEASE: 9th June 2020
Local Young Carers get creative in lockdown
Bath Philharmonia leads Young Carers’ virtual music-making across the South West
Bath Philharmonia, the city of Bath’s professional orchestra, in partnership with B&NES Carers’ Centre has developed a unique project that aims to bring Young Carers together virtually and improve their wellbeing through music.
After a successful pilot session with a group of Young Carers from Bath and North East Somerset and with funding from Quartet Community Foundation and St James’s Place Foundation, Bath Philharmonia is set to expand the project across the South West.
Bath Philharmonia’s Creative Learning Team has ten years of experience in enabling Young Carers to discover their musical talent and improve their levels of self-confidence.
The team will lead over 40 online music-making workshops benefitting nearly 100 Young Carers working in partnership with B&NES Carers’ Centre, Youth Action Wiltshire, Plymouth Youth Service and Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole Council. The team will also deliver craft packs to enable the Young Carers to get creative at home. The project will target Young Carers who are currently shielding as a member of their family has a life limiting illness.
Dylan Jones, Bath Philharmonia Music Leader said, “Young Carers often feel very isolated, let alone during lockdown. Our digital workshops mean that we can get together, even if its only virtually and let their imaginations fly!’
Ellie a ten-year old Young Carer said, “I’m so happy this project is happening in these strange times. I haven’t left home in over 70 days and it’s so good to play with other Young Carers like me!”
NOTES TO EDITORS
ABOUT YOUNG CARERS
- A Young Carer is someone under 18 who has a significant caring responsibility for someone in their family who is ill, disabled or misuses drugs or alcohol.
ABOUT BATH PHILHARMONIA
- Bath Philharmonia is the second largest professional orchestras in the South West.
- The orchestra regularly performs with many of the world’s greatest musicians.
- Bath Philharmonia’s vision is to make high quality orchestral music accessible to as many people as possible.
- Each year, Bath Philharmonia performs to thousands of people and reaches many more through broadcasts and recordings.
- Bath Phil’s Creative Learning Team works in schools and with youth organisations to help young people to develop their musical skills whilst impacting upon personal and social outcomes.
- Bath Philharmonia celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2020.
For the latest on this project and details of upcoming projects and concerts, please follow Bath Phil on Twitter follow @bathphil or visit www.bathphil.co.uk
For Enquiries about Bath Philharmonia, please contact:
E. [email protected]
M. 07525 857720